Thursday, January 28, 2010

R.I.P. J.D.

So I know it's not good news, but I couldn't imagine not writing something about it here - J.D. Salinger, who is represented by the agency I work at, died last night at the age of 91. It has been utter madness in a usually quiet workplace, the phone ringing off the hook with calls from every major publication, country and fan who cares. And so many people do care. He was the stuff literary legends are made of.

"Many men have been just as troubled morally and spiritually as you are right now. Happily, some of them kept records of their troubles. You'll learn from them--if you want to. Just as someday, if you have something to offer, someone will learn something from you. It's a beautiful reciprocal arrangement. And it isn't education. It's history. It's poetry."
- J.D. Salinger, Catcher in the Rye

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I actually hadn't heard. But he was an amazing writer and thinker.

Blessings-
Amanda