Sunday, January 25, 2009

Back to school, back to school

Last first day of classes ever tomorrow (yikes? YIKES), so I thought I could take the opportunity to reflect on my uber-long winter break and whether I made any use of it.  Here, some things I did to be proud of, most of which I'd recommend:

1. Read "The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao" in the place where it was set (although the manmade beach I sat on admittedly had nothing in common with the real deal D.R. of the novel).  Junot Diaz, you rock.  Also finally finished "The Bell Jar" over the same vacation (strongly suggest the book, strongly discourage thinking of it as any sort of beach-read.  Whoops).
2. Learned to make the following somewhat-complicated dishes: Roasted Butternut Squash Risotto (part of my bomb New Year's Eve dinner pictured below), Veggie Dumplings, Apple Crumble (actually really simple but also delish), Persian rice (finally got it right - thanks mom).
3. Saw the following art exhibits: Kehinde Wiley (no longer showing at Deitch Gallery, but still incredible if you ever get the chance), Art and Love in Renaissance Italy at the Met (sort of mehh, to be honest), and my favorite of favorites, which I went to twice - the Pipilotti Rist video exhibition at the Moma.  Grrr, I miss New York.
4. Tried my darndest to think about the dissolving economy in a positive light in terms of my impending graduation (South American travels are my favorite brainstorm scenario thus far).
5. Finalized a Spring Break trip to Negril - nothing like looking ahead to beach-weather to shake the cold out of your bones. 

Phew, didn't think I'd make it to 5. Looks like it's been a productive break after all. And now for a not-so-secret, moderately-dorky guilty pleasure: school supply shopping!  This USB-powered lunchbox warmer kinda makes me wish I still ate in a cafeteria.

2 comments:

LG said...

I LOVED "Oscar Wao." Read "Bell Jar" as a pre-teen... probably need to go back to it for the full effect!!

Lauren said...

USB-powerd lunchbox warmers are SO hong kong