Tuesday, February 2, 2010

I'd like to thank the Academy . . .

Oscar noms were announced today, and despite the weird 10-film development in the Best Picture category, there were some pleasant surprises. For one, thankfully someone with a little sense knew to leave Avatar out of the Best Screenplay category. To me, a film that hasn't been nominated in that department has no place in the Best Picture category, but hey, take what you can get, right? Animated Feature Film is full of good stuff (this is one of the best years for animation in a long, long time), and I can't say I'm disappointed with the Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor picks either. But where oh where is the recognition for Broken Embraces, Almodóvar's epic, brightly-lit neo-noir masterpiece? If the Academy has the hots for Penelope (as clearly they, and everyone with an operating libido, do), why pick her writhing performance in Nine over this? Oops, guess I answered my own question. Here's hoping Inglorious Basterds wins every category it's nominated in (although I wouldn't be sad to see Up take Best Original Screenplay), and that James Cameron doesn't get too many more opportunities to speak Na'vi on national television. From now until March 7, I'll be making sure to see A Serious Man, Crazy Heart, Ajami, and Food, Inc.

Ladies and gentlemen, cast your ballots!

No comments: