Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Not your grandma's gnocchi

I've been on a bit of a fall vegetable kick (pumpkin, sweet potatoes, and butternut squash have been shown equal attention and affection in my kitchen), although now I suppose autumn is technically over. But when I found this recipe for Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Arugula and Hazelnuts, how could I not suggest making a Saturday night meal of it? A few changes to note - we used butternut squash (halved and roasted at 500 degrees for 25 minutes, then scooped, mashed and drained) instead of sweet potatoes, crushed and toasted almonds instead of hazelnuts (which are also called filberts - who knew?), and added some dried cranberries in at the end to cover the seasonal color spectrum. All said and done, not too harsh on the wallet, thighs or schedule. And SO delicious.

No comments: